Discuss anything regarding MineRealm Classic here.
By dlgn
It recently occurred to me how strange it is that the Wiki is so seldom used. It's an excellent place for collecting history and other information about players, cities, guilds, updates, and so on, yet it's hardly used. I would like to urge everyone to use the Wiki to provide the greater public with more information about you, your guilds, your cities, and anything else you think is relevant.

I created a page for Vortex on the Wiki today; I would like the help of other Vortex members (and ex-members, if they're interested) in providing more information and details, as well as making it generally more accurate. Where's Xeros? When and why was it founded? Who lived there? When did roach buy his spawn plot? What has been there other than the tube transit? What other important events have occurred for Vortex other than the ones I've listed? Have there been more than three configurations of the Skelly Grinder? Where was Sinnale? What about Old Vortex? What was there? When was it built? And New Vortex? Where is it? Is it still active? These are all things that I don't know—but I know that you folks do. That's what a Wiki is for, after all: constructive collaboration.

It's amazing how much you can find out simply by searching Google with "site:minerealm.com". Almost every major event has been documented on the forums. It doesn't just tell you a multitude of different opinions about them and how they interacted with other things going on at the time, but gives you actual dates for them! Not to mention that they can be cited within the Wiki to provide context and evidence for posted information.

Anyway, I think this is a great opportunity to collect information about MineRealm, its character, and its history, and I'd like to strongly encourage anyone else who feels like they could do a good job to create and edit pages about their guilds, themselves, and anything else that would go in the Wiki.

Thanks,
~dlgn
p.s. For those who decide to work on the Wiki, I'd highly recommend using the "Summary" option (and "Minor edit" option, if applicable) to say roughly what you did in the edit, to avoid making viewing old edits a nightmare, both for yourself and everyone else.
p.p.s. If you're not sure what to write about, going to an existing page (say, Vortex) and creating pages for red (non-existent) links is a great place to start.
Meowrocket wrote:It'd be more usable if there were less nonsense on it.
For example:
http://wiki.minerealm.com/index.php?tit ... &oldid=696
http://wiki.minerealm.com/index.php?tit ... oldid=1055
Not even sure what's going on.
That's true.

However, the great thing about a Wiki is that strange or bad pages can be edited, or, if you have no idea what they're for, simply never linked to. They need not affect the rest of the Wiki. For example, :Bots is certainly a very strange page, but I had no need to link to it in the page on Vortex because it isn't relevant. Meanwhile, the pages that I did need were generally either (reasonably) well-made, or simply non-existent. (Hint hint.)

TL;DR Just ignore them.

~dlgn
Sorry for the double post, but someone made a well-sourced and informative beginning to the Arcane article, and I wanted to thank whoever it was (Meow? I can't tell since it wasn't done from an account). I've added a bit more info and given it standard formatting.

~dlgn
dlgn wrote:Sorry for the double post, but someone made a well-sourced and informative beginning to the Arcane article, and I wanted to thank whoever it was (Meow? I can't tell since it wasn't done from an account). I've added a bit more info and given it standard formatting.

~dlgn
Not me, I still can;t figure out how to do things on there.
I need a tutorial or summat. >.<
Meowrocket wrote:
dlgn wrote:Sorry for the double post, but someone made a well-sourced and informative beginning to the Arcane article, and I wanted to thank whoever it was (Meow? I can't tell since it wasn't done from an account). I've added a bit more info and given it standard formatting.

~dlgn
Not me, I still can;t figure out how to do things on there.
I need a tutorial or summat. >.<
Well, to make a page, you can simply look up the name of the page. If it doesn't exist, you'll be given a link that says "create this page" or something like that.

As for formatting, unfortunately, the GUI editor doesn't work right now. However, there's an "editing help" link that you can view when you're editing a page's source that can help with formatting.

Here are some useful things:

== Title ==

produces a main section (like the "history" section of the Vortex page).

=== Title ===
Produces a secondary section (like the "Xeros" section of the Vortex page). These are generally part of a main section. For example, the "Xeros" subsection is part of the "Notable Properties" section of the Vortex page.

You can add more = for smaller and smaller headings. If you have enough sections, it will create a "contents" section automatically.

You can also create references. To do so, put <ref>[link name of link]</ref>. For example,

<ref>[http://minerealm.com/community/viewtopi ... =9&t=12487 Arcane Recruitment.]</ref>

creates a little number where you put it, that links to a reference in the reference section titled "Arcane Recruitment." and links to the link provided.
If you do this, you'll need to create an area for the references to go. You do it like so:

== References ==
<references/>

Then, it will automatically number the references and provide numbered links to the reference area.

It's also possible to name references that you plan on using more than once. For example,

<ref name="ArcRecruit">[http://minerealm.com/community/viewtopi ... =9&t=12487 Arcane Recruitment.]</ref>

will create a reference called "ArcRecruit". If I wish to use it again, I can simply type

<ref name="ArcRecruit"></ref>

without needing to create an extra reference or re-paste the link and text inside the []. It will then link back to the original reference. I'm not sure whether you need to do this for the first instance of the reference specifically, but it's neater to.

It's also possible to put in images. You need to upload them to the wiki, for which there's a link on the far left of the page:
upload file.PNG
upload file.PNG (77.38 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
Be sure to take note of the name the Wiki has given the file, as it may not be the exact same as the name you uploaded; for example, spaces are replaced with underscores.

It can then be used in articles. There are a number of ways to format images, but the easiest way IMO is thumb. It is done so:
[[File:filename.fileextension|thumb|numberpx|caption]]

For example,

[[File:Arcane_orb.jpg|thumb|400px|A 3D still of the Arcane Orb, produced by Nephalem.]]

It's a good idea to use the Preview option with images, so they end up being the right size (400px in this case) and in the right place.

In fact, it's a good idea in general to use the Preview option to avoid making more edits than necessary when you have to go back and fix mistakes.

Last of all, it's helpful to use the "Summary" area underneath the main editing area to give a brief summary of what you changed. It saves a headache for people trying to go through it in the future. For example, for this edit (changed version on right side, before change on left—neat comparison feature available under history in case you want to review changes), I wrote "More info in History; more sources; bolded "Arcane" for emphasis; added various activities to interests as indicated by Neph." This gives a general idea of what was changed, and the specifics can be viewed with the comparison feature.

And if you're only doing something that doesn't actually change the meaning of the article at all, like fixing a formatting error, correcting spelling or grammar, or removing a reference that was accidentally put in twice, then you can also check the "Minor Edit" box to let people know that it wasn't a content change. However (and this is very important), if even a single word of the article itself is changed outside of spelling and grammar corrections, then it isn't a Minor Edit. So if you change "The tournament was helt on April 11" to "The tournament was held on April 11", that's a Minor Edit. But if you change it to "The tournament was held on April 12", that's not.

Anyway, hope that helps!

~dlgn
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]