Discuss anything regarding MineRealm Classic here.
By ColdF3ar
After running around for awhile on new terrain that has not been lit up at all, I was sort of shocked to see how little mobs were around. In single player there were tons that seemed to just keep appearing even on easy.

Many mobs on singleplayer:
Spoiler:
Lonely Minerealm:
Spoiler:
Finally a mob
Im wondering if anyone else has any info about the way Minerealm deals with mobs? Do you have to be running around for them to spawn? Do they spawn minimally because of our difficulty level? I know there have been mob caps set per plot and that the total number of mobs set server wide will affect how many you see strolling about. I bring this up because I was interested in making a farm and can't seem to find any reason to make one if it won't provide.
By Sandsnake
Minecraft has a global cap of 200 mobs. Grinders break that cap, so if anyone is using a grinder, you're not going to see much in the way of hostiles.

Should have logged on last night after the upgrade. Things got a little ridiculous. Creeper pinball is no fun. :\
By TechnoProdigy
Even at difficulty 1, lots of mobs should theoretically be spawning. It's probably a result of everybody and their grandmother having mob grinders.
By gallinka
Try walking around at night when the server has a lot of players on it. I noticed in my current project that spawn rates vary wildly when a lot of players are online. Yeah, if you look at the spawning formula, it can limit mob spawning but not always.

Just FYI.
By Intelli
Someone must not have been around during the terrain wipe. Plenty of mobs spawn with new terrain, which is what you're playing on in single player.
By Bu1ld0g
I was playing last night (early morning US time) and there was a crazy ammount of mobs to the point of having to /trade and back again to wipe them. As soon as a few more people joined it stopped and the only thing showing in excess were chickens and item frames.
It must be a craftbucket/minerealm issue as I play another server now and then and player count doesn't affect mob spawning. Yes this server does have grinders, even endermen grinders which spawn faster than Tee's gold farm.
By eah
The exact cap is customLimit * chunkCount / 256 where customLimit is a user defined limit for the mob type in question and chunkCount is a count of chunks to spawn mobs in (not necessarily the number of loaded chunks).

Mob types with their respective default customLimit are as follows:

monsters: 70
animals: 15
water-animals: 5
ambient: 15

The chunks available for mob spawning is (2 * minimum(viewDistance, mobSpawnRange, 8) + 1)^2 chunks around each player. AFAIK, minerealm's view distance is 6. The default value for mobSpawnRange is 4 which leads me to believe there are only 81 chunks around each player (not counting overlapping chunks) available for spawning.

That would mean about 22 monsters per player, abut 5 animals per player, about 2 water-animals per player, and about 5 ambients per player. This is a world wide cap. If VVolfie is hoarding 250 cows, nobody's going to see pigs fly.

When the count for the number of mobs of the particular type is reached in the selected chunks described above, the type of mob stops spawning naturally. However, the count can still be forced above the cap through using monster spawners and breeding.

The number of players online has an effect, but each player also carries some baggage - a bunch of mobs in the chunks around them. What would be a suitable conclusion is some players carry more baggage than others. If it looks like everyone is afk, there's a good chance there are a lot of mobs. If the server is populated with a bunch of noobs, there's a fair chance there's space to spawn more mobs. If you're the only one online, you have complete control over where and when mobs spawn.

An interesting feature of the way mobs are categorized is ocelots are considered hostile mobs - they have a better chance of spawning than other animals. I was actually able to find several ocelots on the nearest border of the east jungle just by standing around waiting.
By Piewarrior27
Sorry for the slight necromancy, but the mobs are the opposite now...
As seen in figure 1, the mobs are out of control. I got a stack and a half each of beef and pork from running around for 10 minutes with a loot 3 sword :/
Attachments
Figure 1
Figure 1
2014-05-25_19.14.33.png (809.05 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
By Dentez
Piewarrior27 wrote:Sorry for the slight necromancy, but the mobs are the opposite now...
As seen in figure 1, the mobs are out of control. I got a stack and a half each of beef and pork from running around for 10 minutes with a loot 3 sword :/

This photo was taken on Divinity plots. It is accurate.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]