Discuss anything regarding MineRealm Classic here.
Sharp_Enderman wrote:
TeeJayDub wrote:Answer me one thing then, if you would be so kind. WHY is the use of external programs or client mods that automate gameplay illegal?
I'd imagine because they give you an unfair advantage over other players who have to do these same tasks manually.
If this is the point you're trying to make, then it doesn't really help you. Most people have something heavy enough to put on a key.
That's not the point I was trying to make, but your answer was what I anticipated :)

My view is that the use of external programs and client mods is illegal not only because it may provide "unfair advantage" to the players using such, but also because circumvention of the gameplay mechanics is a form of cheating (and thus a breach of Rule 6).

Mojang have coded MineCraft such that it requires a secondary mouse button signal in order for a fishing rod cast to be made. The game developers have chosen to require player input for that action. To circumvent this by emulating player input while the player is not present is therefore a form of cheating.
Sharp_Enderman wrote:The whole picture. :]
My change of emphasis was just a bit of a laugh, as much as anything else. :D

I don't see that the definition of botting actually has any particular relevance to the current debate, as per my reasoning above we are discussing cheating (circumvention of the game mechanics) rather than unfair advantage (client mods / programs that others may not have).
I think it basically boils down to whether your character behaving as if you were there while you are not. Whether it's a bot or a book, it doesn't matter. So yeah, I agree with staff that this rule is as it should be. :3
Sharp_Enderman wrote:I give. Just an unfortunate differing of opinions. Even if I were to press my point further, you have Rokkr. Rokkrgitswutrokkrwunts. I can't do anything about that.
I'd watch your tone, that is coming off as disrespectful. As I said before we are here discussing this rule, not to change it. That's not what you made this thread for so throwing remarks like that is uncalled for.
Rokkrwolf312 wrote:That's not what you made this thread for
It was made to discuss the rule which would then hopefully result in a change for what I would perceive as the better.
Rokkrwolf312 wrote:coming off as disrespectful.
Regretful, more like.
Sharp_Enderman wrote:
Rokkrwolf312 wrote:That's not what you made this thread for
It was made to discuss the rule which would then hopefully result in a change for what I would perceive as the better.
Rokkrwolf312 wrote:coming off as disrespectful.
Regretful, more like.
Either way just because you disagree no need to throw around such remarks, just drop it and move on. Just because you're not getting your way doesn't give you any right to single me out because I am enforcing the rule.
monkeychunks wrote:Honestly if this were made legal than I would make a credit generator in which I Afk and get credits limitlessly.
In order for that to be even feasible you would have to have the character move around.
This is about automating the right mouse in an AFK farm, completely different.......

You're talking about scripting, sharp is talking about autofire in essence.
TeeJayDub wrote:EDIT: Jack ... AFK farms that give loot drops using fall damage or similar are permitted because no player input is required for that - it is completely within the game mechanics. All that is required is for the chunks to be loaded. Sharp's fishing farm does nothing if the chunks are loaded - it works ONLY if the player is casting their fishing rod, which requires manual input. Circumventing that manual input is the issue.
I fully understand the differences and similarities TeeJay, although thank you for clarifying.

Farming of materials including iron, gold, and even rotten flesh if desired is in the game mechanics. And as the video in the OP showed, fish farming is now in the game mechanics.

If gold or iron farming not only required a player to be AFK to load the chunks, but also somehow needed a glass of water to be next to the computer, then would it be illegal? This question is slightly rhetorical because if putting a paperweight on your mouse to farm fish is against the rules, then doing something as mundane as putting a glass of water near the computer would be as well. My analogy does somewhat fail here, seeing as there is no way a glass of water would alter the mechanics of AFK farming, but please look past this.

I do not understand why this makes a difference. Played still have to undergo the labor required to make the farm, and if the farm requires somebody to place a heavy object on their mouse, then that seems like a very insignificant difference. What if I physically forced somebody to click my mouse for me all day? I would not be inputting manual labor, but somebody else would. But under the laws of physics, a heavy object would be exerting work, thus working to achieve the same goal as a player would.

It seems to me as if placing a one-pound weigh on something does not qualify as having a hack client or cheating in any form. And due to this belief, I would say that the main question is whether this is an exploit. I would say that if this does not get patched next update, that telling Sharp_Enderman not to utilize this machine is as rationally unjustified as burning your own house down because it's too cold inside your house.

I am not going to post further on this thread because I do not really see the desire in farming fish over iron or gold. However, in my opinion, farming fish should be legal if not patched by Mojang. I wish Sharp_Enderman the best of luck in his wishes to farm fishes.
I see it like this. Minecraft is a game where you do stuff to get stuff. Sometimes you can use the intended game mechanics to make the game do stuff by itself. That isn't the same, however, as tricking into thinking you're there when you aren't. The big deal, as I see it, is where the effort comes from. If the game can do it by itself (like gold farms, for instance), it's providing the effort and that's fine. But if the effort for an activity that was meant to be user-driven comes from an inanimate object, that's a circumvention of the in-out deal that Mojang provided.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]