Discuss anything regarding MineRealm Classic here.

Do you support the proposed changes?

Option 1
23%
Option 2
77%
I prefer a wipe and I honestly don't care if we all have to start from scratch. Doing so will bring new experiences along as people working together and try to make it to the top again. I guess I'm the few who voted for option 1.
All Hail Our Glorious Leader!

but... seriously, im not convinced of Option 1.

Sure, I have no Idea what v5 will bring and i think that a realm wipe for 1.7 is a good idea, but the conditions for the wipe are not really what i would expect.
With that I could also just join another server, not that I would like to do so, but I have nothing left when the map is wiped.
I can't keep credits and realms (sure, I can rebuy my realms without fear, that anyone is taking them away from me, but i don't think that counts.) I have not many buildings, that I really want to keep, but one. The Problem is: I don't know what biome my 'new home' will be. I have no interest of having my shipyard standing in the midst of a desert.

So I guess I have to start from the scratch again anyways.
And then I just wonder... why did I play the last year and a half?
I'm sure that you will find a solution Intelli, I trust you, but the idea is surely not getting you anywhere.

Just my Opinion
Pharaun222 wrote: And then I just wonder... why did I play the last year and a half?
A question that keeps popping up.

I suspect that the reason people play minecraft here is because they enjoy:
- exploring the unclaimed parts of the map and builds built by other players
- mining and obtaining new rare and hard to get items and materials
- building new amazing structures
- pushing the limits of what is possible in survival minecraft

And doing all these things within a great community which allows you to progress further than you would on your own.

These are things you will still be able to do regardless of a wipe. The act of playing minecraft itself is where the enjoyment comes from, not having tons of stuff. In that respect I'd say that a wipe would even improve the enjoyable qualities that minecraft has to offer. It's a chance to start fresh and break free from the location and surroundings you are stuck in now and begin something new and exciting that will be better than anything you have done until now.

When was the last time you punched a tree?
BSGSamuel wrote:
Two days ago.

Yes, I think we should start over in some way, but taking away credits is harsh I think. Having the public land wiped will result in players exploring the new terrain anyways.
And while it's true that playing minecraft is what makes the thing fun, ppl set themselves goals they want to achieve. One wants to build an amazing building, another one want to collect loads of valuables, be the richest credits-wise or own the most land.
Why should one of these personal goals - the buildings - be raised high above all the others?
Because evryone can see them? That's a good point, but it doesn't make the other goals less important to the players that set them for themseves.

This poll seems to go against the chest and credits wipe anyways, so I guess it won't happen - at least not in this way.

What I'd like to know about this idea is:
What happens to the inventory and the enderchest? Will they be wiped or kept?
And of course - that has been asked already - what about animals? Villagers?
If the auto-furnace on my realm is chest-wiped, what about the hoppers and oven?

I just feel so insecure atm about the future that I dont see any sense in playing till there is any decision made, for that will determine my course of action.
BSGSamuel wrote:In that respect I'd say that a wipe would even improve the enjoyable qualities that minecraft has to offer. It's a chance to start fresh and break free from the location and surroundings you are stuck in now and begin something new and exciting that will be better than anything you have done until now.
There's still a lot of public land. Admittedly, there likely aren't many spots you could go to and see absolutely no sign of existing structures, but those who want to "start fresh" can more or less get what they want by starting a new build elsewhere (or even taking things farther, and giving away all items and credits). Those who would prefer to keep their current possessions would have no such chance to do so if there was a wipe.

Put differently:
Keeping the map would be great for people who want that to happen, and still more or less ok for those who don't.
Wiping the map would be great for people who want that to happen, but a huge letdown for those who don't.
The reason I started playing on Minerealm was I loved the idea of being able to explore the server and go from having nothing to buying realms, making builds for all to see, and earning wealth through the ever changing economy and community. When I started, I had to use my head to find resources by using the overview map to find land that seemed untouched. Then when I earned enough credits, I bought a realm that I found which was on south road and on the south line, only a thousand blocks from spawn so very accessible. I slowly bought the immediate surrounding realms, using /home to go to my mine in public land and traveling to my realms using the subway with a stop I built. Surrounded by private realms and looking to expand, I used /p to discover one of the realms which had simple builds on it was owned by someone who wasn't on in awhile. I waited until the realm disbanded and bought the realm. There was one more realm I wanted for my little section of land owned by Prodigy9, who I contacted and negotiated a deal to buy the realm from. Satisfied with my little 6x2 section of realms, I decided to build something and I did, a 50 block radius stone sphere at sky limit. Simple (I call it "modern art" xD) but took a lot of work and time. Now I'm working on new projects (Coming soon ;D) much more ambitious I think (than a stone sphere? IMPOSSIBLE! XD)

Anyway, my point is there are two histories important to preserve, the server's history and the player's history. The attraction of a server like Minerealm for me is the ability to start from a simple survival server and then through much effort work time skill and intelligence, earn wealth which you can then use to make crazy things for everyone to see and enjoy or to do whatever you want and can imagine with. If everyone's wealth is basically wiped, besides losing everything I've earned so far and having to pay to preserve and then re-earn my realms and losing everything in my private chests (for many MUCH more to lose) that tells me well this may happen again and the reason I personally play on minerealm is not there anymore, knowing whatever you earn can be taken away at anytime. I think that is also true for new players who if they are really interested in this unique experience, will make the effort as all vets in the past have whatever the circumstances to get that first realm and find the untapped resources. To be fair, I'm pretty sure I got my first realm by mining land from the last public wipe. I think the 150x150 public land wipe with the intelligent merging feature is a great idea and that should be implemented. But players should be able to keep the realms they have and their stuff with no strings attached, and if there are builds that people want to protect on public land, if it matters so much the community will come together to buy those realms. I think it should be as simple as that, unless v5 requires a sacrifice or two that will be worth it, in that case I think we all would like to know what we are getting out of it and why it is necessary to start all over. But it looks to me like the reset of wealth is so we can all experience true minecraft survial in 1.7, with minerealm v5 from an equal and new perspective for all, which I think misses the whole point of minerealm.

I have faith in our Glorious Leader and whatever he decides to do! Hail! :d :D :D xD
BSGSamuel wrote: A question that keeps popping up.

I suspect that the reason people play minecraft here is because they enjoy:
- exploring the unclaimed parts of the map and builds built by other players
- mining and obtaining new rare and hard to get items and materials
- building new amazing structures
- pushing the limits of what is possible in survival minecraft

And doing all these things within a great community which allows you to progress further than you would on your own.

These are things you will still be able to do regardless of a wipe. The act of playing minecraft itself is where the enjoyment comes from, not having tons of stuff. In that respect I'd say that a wipe would even improve the enjoyable qualities that minecraft has to offer. It's a chance to start fresh and break free from the location and surroundings you are stuck in now and begin something new and exciting that will be better than anything you have done until now.

When I want to start over I got plenty of possibilities, either I do it in MineRealm, in single player or in any other server. But its never fun to be forced to do it. A couple of times in my life, my harddrive has crashed, not a single one of those times have felt good. And normally I try to be better at making back ups or change something else to secure my digital stuff. And that is what this feels like, a crash, and more with me would probably consider put their engagement into something else, something we got more control over. I would miss my guild, but the server I wouldnt*, because it wouldnt be the same server anyway.

*) the new server I mean, the old one I would miss
I've been thinking, and I've come to believe that Minecraft is the most fun with A LOT of people, or just a few people.

Minerealm sits in the middle.... kind of the uncanny alley of Minecraft. It appears that we can't expand, yet Intelli continues to push the advertising. We are a large community with a small map which creates a lot of issues.

If Minerealm wants to be big, it should go REALLY big. When advertising is strong we average 100 people and thats a pretty big deal. Unfortunately, they then see our map, and its a turn off. The largest, most successful, servers have several worlds, massive worlds, and are just so huge in general that you can start a city with a bunch of people or run off into the wilderness and almost never see a single soul.

10,000 by 10,000 is not big ESPECIALLY when we're advertising and running 50+ people at a time.

A similar thing is true on a very small server, where there are simply so few people you don't actually notice them.

Coming back to the issue at the heart of Minerealm is that we have more potential than our map allows... The fact that everywhere you go is wrecked in some way by the presence of other players is upsetting for a lot of players, yet these are the same players that don't want to leave their own work.

It's almost a paradox. However, unlike a paradox there are solutions. Minerealm could expand on its obvious popularity, this means that things will become very 'unminrealmlike'. As in, Intelli will need to look for other monetisation solutions. In this scenario, we lose a bit of the original feel, but have the potential to become big.

Going to think aloud here again and throw out some ideas for a larger server

Nexus world - Spawn city with portal's to 4 'major' worlds. Each of these could be 10k by 10k. If we were averaging 100 players, 25 players per world is much more manageable. A nexus world is a common feature on large scale servers. This world could be 1k by 1k, thats 400 realms still which isn't half bad. Maybe these realms could cost 50k each. Again, just thinking out loud; but if a server expansion is on the cards a nexus world is important. One of these worlds could be essentially be the new 'wilderness'.

Less vanilla No reason to be less 'legit' but portals to other worlds aren't that much of a concern. Minerealm advertises itself as 'fully legit', but I certainly don't classify this as an advantage or selling point any longer, at least not for large-scale servers.

Multiple difficulties - Minerealm is reallllllyyyy easy at the moment. The lag often makes it even easier, and then there's the fact that there are so few mobs anyway. What on earth is the point? In my own words, "Minerealm is creative with food". Definitely not what survival should be, and half the reason a lot of veteran players move on to smaller, more difficult, more reliable servers. A solution to this is to make 4 major worlds at the very least, each on one of the basic difficulties provided by Minecraft. Realm prices and credit-gain could be modified by the difficulty.

And if an expansion isn't on the cards

What people have been suggesting here - an adaptive map wipe is a very clever idea. However, there really is no point in removing peoples wealth.

Stop advertising? - If we don't have the resources expand to several ten thousand by ten thousand worlds there is no point overpopulating the one we have.

Widlerness wipes - These need to be monthly or bi-monthly, there also needs to be a nether. Literally nothing else will solve the current issues as well as this. Imagine exploring a huge new world every month. Not a lot can be done about the lag, and the 'double damage' is a very hackish solution to difficulty. Limited resources is making the rich richer, making Minerealm less and less appealing to newer players. Once upon a time a LOT of new players stuck around, now its lucky to be one in 20 or even 50.

My opinion: Everyone knows I don't play a lot of Minerealm any more, but I do still owe it my loyalty with my third year anniversary coming up, I wouldn't like a wipe at all, let alone losing so much work. Abyssus and Sub Aurora are both impressive projects, and I don't want to lose either of them. This is the choice I think Minerealm needs to make, and while I encourage it to expand and diversify I understand that that isn't always viable.

TL;DR core issue is overpopulating an old and small map. If Intelli wants to advertise he should expand the server, if he's going to keep it on the same map then a dynamic wipe should be considered, however realms and credits should not. If the server isn't expanded and instead wiped, we will be right back here within months. We have to strike a balance between saying goodbye to all the veterans/wealthy players and welcoming new players. It's very easy to just wipe, advertise and reap the rewards.
In my opinion I don't see a problem with wipeing the public realms and private realms unless people pay like 200 per realm to save structures. Wipeing the credits and haveing to rebuy all the realms again is a bad idea. I think wipeing the credits is fine but doing that and makeing people buy the realms again after saveing them is a bad idea. It makes me feel like i worked alot on the server for no reason. It took me awhile to obtain all my realms and I had to deal with plenty of griefers. I think that the nether and the wild can just be wiped and stuff. Like i said wipeing the public and not saved realms and the credits is a fine idea it will somewhat lower the wealth of people but it would help the econ have higher prices again. Im begging u please dont make us pay for realms we already payed for.
DerekITolduso wrote:In my opinion I don't see a problem with wipeing the public realms and private realms unless people pay like 200 per realm to save structures. Wipeing the credits and haveing to rebuy all the realms again is a bad idea. I think wipeing the credits is fine but doing that and makeing people buy the realms again after saveing them is a bad idea. It makes me feel like i worked alot on the server for no reason. It took me awhile to obtain all my realms and I had to deal with plenty of griefers. I think that the nether and the wild can just be wiped and stuff. Like i said wipeing the public and not saved realms and the credits is a fine idea it will somewhat lower the wealth of people but it would help the econ have higher prices again. Im begging u please dont make us pay for realms we already payed for.
I agree with this sentiment, but I would like to point out that, if anything, prices would drop upon a map wipe. Dramatically. Like 25rc per diamond dramatically.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]