Administrators will post announcements regarding change in rules or gameplay.
By cerevox
eah2119 wrote:Firstly, what is meant by too chocolaty or too vanilla?
Its a catch phrase that is getting spammed around because these kids think its cool and clever, when in fact its just annoying and repetitive. The idea is that vanilla is a straight up regular, default server so the opposite would be chocolate, so big changes are considered chocolaty. See? Not very clever but these kids can't come up with anything better so let them spam their silly memes around till they get tired of them.
By fritterdonut
From my understanding, the resources in minecraft ARE limited. There's only so much of it. Glowstone is extremely limited. Some resources are readily available. But still, it takes time and effort to mine something as simple as dirt. Even dirt is limited, or water, or cobble, or wood. We don't get things out of thin air. We have to find and mine them, right? If everything was unlimited, there wouldn't be a price tag. Everything would be free. There would be no buyers and no sellers.
This doesn't actually work.
Think of it this way: If the map in Minecraft was infinitely large (Which it essentially is in SP), and we started using an infinitely large map on the server, that means infinite number of chunks = infinite number of diamonds. Does that mean diamonds = free? No. Because You pay for the resource AND the time and effort it took to find it, mine it, and bring it to you.
From what I learned in my high school economics class, the price is determined by the intersection of the supply and demand curves. If demand increases, the entire demand curve shifts to the right. The buyers will pay more for the same quantity. If supply increase, the entire supply curve shifts to the right. The seller can provide more quantity at the same price. This usually means that costs have gone down for the supplier. What's going to happen in this nether wipe is there will be a sort-of surplus in glowstone - a supply increase. Since there's going to be so much of it, wouldn't price decrease? In response to a supply shift, quantity demand will increase. The demand curve won't shift. The equilibrium price and quantity will just change.
Except that more supply does not necessarily equal cheaper price. If all the glowstone was taken by a single group of people, they could raise the price to fairly astronomical heights and still have buyers, because they control the market and people will need glowstone. It's like owning EVERY property in monopoly.
By eah
Ah, yes. I forgot to take into account how many buyers and sellers are actually participating in the economy. Only one seller equals monopoly which equals no competition which equals very high price. And the seller's going to sell to whomever will pay the highest. And as mentioned before, this is all assumed that everyone makes rational decisions which they don't, and that the buyer actually has a say in which vendor they buy from, which they rarely do. You might go on chat asking for someone to sell you iron. There might be 200 people selling iron, but only 1 person actually saw the request, so you must go with their price, or drop the offer. This is different from the real world when you can go to multiple stores checking the price of a refrigerator, because all the stores are open at the same time. You have a say in who you buy from.

So basically, in minecraft, everything's practically monopolized. Glowstone price will be high due to the lack of competition.
By CirJohn
eah2119 wrote:I'm only a senior in high school. Maybe I don't understand it completely. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
eah2119, you've forgotten one important factor - human nature. People (in general) are greedy. If an extremely limitted resource is controlled by a few uregulated people/groups, then they can set whatever price they want. Expect a combination of monopolies, price fixing and hoarding.
By Intelli
CirJohn wrote:
eah2119 wrote:I'm only a senior in high school. Maybe I don't understand it completely. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
eah2119, you've forgotten one important factor - human nature. People (in general) are greedy. If an extremely limitted resource is controlled by a few uregulated people/groups, then they can set whatever price they want. Expect a combination of monopolies, price fixing and hoarding.
People aren't going to pay for it (ridiculous prices anyways) as long as they can go and get it for free in the Nether themselves.

It took about 3 months for the Nether to be cleared of glowstone the first time.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]