Discuss anything regarding MineRealm Classic here.
cogohst wrote:If it's possible, I think a credit reimbursement would be better than actually keeping the realms.
cgpirre wrote:For you maybe, but I spend countless hours just flattening my realms, I don't care what the realm next to me looks like, so I prefer the 'keep yer realms' option.
I sense a public opinion poll in the near future. Honestly, I haven't given this much thought beyond what I've seen being discussed in chat. Credit reimbursement seems like it would be the easier option for Intelli. Realm transfer would placate the people who constantly complain about losing their work to server wipes. Personally, I am a fan of server wipes from time to time (as I believe I have expressed at every map wipe). After a map has been up for a long time, it feels like the server stagnates and people lose interest. New maps require rebuilding and often reinvigorate the player base. But that's my opinion.

In the end, I like the credit reimbursement idea better. We get a completely new map (maximizing the amount of new resources), it resets the economy (which couldn't hurt after the x-ray extravaganza) and clears out all the realms of inactive/banned players without the need of an auction. But, as always, I'll adapt and keep playing no matter what Intelli chooses to do. Heck, I'd even be fine with a complete wipe (realms and realm credits).
By Prodigy9
Cogohst wrote:This is something I was wondering. Quite a few things went into the realms I've bought, mainly being location and surrounding terrain. If it's possible, I think a credit reimbursement would be better than actually keeping the realms.
Although you would take a 10% loss or so, you could always sell your realms manually before the server switch and take just the RCs into the next map. (At least, as I understand it, RC counts would transfer... someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

As for me, I like the idea of being able to keep private realms as they currently exist. There will still be plenty of new territory to explore (particularly once the underground rail system is running, and it's possible to quickly travel long distances). By my estimate, realms about 1000 blocks out from spawn in one direction seem to be around 40/60 private/public. 2000 blocks out, I'd estimate this is more like 20/80. In the 4000-5000 block range, there are very, very few private realms. And I'd imagine that the regions far from spawn in BOTH the X and Z directions would be even less densely populated (most of my experience is with the areas within a few hundred blocks in the X-direction from the Z-axis Frogroad, which is a fairly popular area). So if you go exploring at least halfway to the edge of the map once the new server starts, you'll find plenty of 1.8-updated wilderness with just a few settlements and castles in the way.
savesthedazed wrote:Personally, I am a fan of server wipes from time to time (as I believe I have expressed at every map wipe). After a map has been up for a long time, it feels like the server stagnates and people lose interest. New maps require rebuilding and often reinvigorate the player base. But that's my opinion.
It's a valid point--the start-up phase of a server can often be one of the most exciting parts of a MC server. But I believe Intelli stated that, once a map is made permanent, map borders and the spawn location could be changed from time to time. If so, each change in the spawn position would bring the rebuilding and reinvigoration you described, because players and factions would have to scramble to build new roads to their areas and try to get the prized real estate near the new spawn. Just tossing that idea out for consideration.
My first reaction to the "complete wipe" proposal was more of a "please don't!", since - despite only being on the server for a couple days - I've already built some stuff I don't really want to lose. So I think transferring the realms as-is is cool.
On the other hand, a new start would actually be not that bad of an option either. I can say that since I didn't exactly built TOO much (I don't know about other people, like the guys behind Nova).
That way everyone could get the chance to help designing a new spawn point and the realms around it. If that happens, I would support a rule that enforces some consistency, also when it comes to building streets around the realms, so you don't have to start jumping around walls 300 blocks from spawn.
Intelli wrote:Hey everyone,

I just wanted to address some stuff regarding map wipes, and so-forth.
Map wipes are fairly common on Minecraft servers. However, they can also be frustrating.

We do have plans to make the maps on our servers permanent in the future, expanding, and moving the spawn if necessary, to meet needs. However, unfortunately, this can't be implemented until Minecraft is officially launched. (11/11/11).

As Notch is still adding new blocks, etc, every so often, if we don't wipe the map, then the server starts to get "outdated", as the newest ores won't be available to mine, and so-forth. Additionally, Notch still tweaks the map saving format and such every so often, which at times can cause map corruption.

At the present time, we do guaruntee a minimum map life of 3 months. (And typically much longer).
However, permanent maps won't be implemented until Minecraft multi-player is stable enough to support them.

Thanks for your understanding!
P.S.
If Notch doesn't add any new blocks from the present time until the time Minecraft stable is released, then yes, the current maps will become the official permanent maps.
UPDATE:
We have decided that "realms" should be permanent. Therefore, even if we do wipe the map, we will transfer over all existing realm data to the new map.
I have to say, and this is my "exit speech" so you can take it how you want it... this is one of the worst run servers, with the most potential to be better.

Map wipes are barbaric at best. Wiping the things that people have spent countless hours building is totally and completely unnecessary.

Why don't you just use a multi-world? The next world doesn't even have to be big! You could make it 256x256 and setup WorldGuard boundries. You could cycle that world every week...

Why on earth would you wipe a world with less than 3 months until full release?? That's just crazy!!

Also, the spawn rate thing. This is a survival server! Why am I able to run around at night and MAYBE see 1-2 mobs? No serious player can take this server seriously. No locking mod? Realm allows you to lock down land and the things you put in it, yet anyone you give permission to your realm.. also can get into your belongings. This is all very flawed and totally not what anyone with a serious server does! No wonder most of your community is whining kids and troublemakers! You repel any serious players such as my friend and I.

You need to wake up, this server has a lot of potential and you are obviously a programming genius. You're just making a few mistakes. Quality > Quantity. Set a cap of 50 or 75 players and return spawning to "challenging" levels. Killing spawn rates to deal with lag is NOT a perm fix. You should know better.
By BSGSamuel
What part of 'private realms will be transferred to the new map' did you not understand? If you don't want your stuff to be wiped, buy the realm.

Also a chest lock has benefits but instead the realm system has been chosen for this server. Going around saying that it is badly run because you disagree with the used system is just silly. It is a completely subjective matter. I really like how the realm system works. You have to be cautious and responsible when you first start in order protect your items, this makes playing more challanging and fun. Once you have a realm, which is really quick if you're not an idiot, you don't even have to worry about chest locking.

As for the spawn rate, it is unfortunate but the minerealm server is made to support a huge amount of players and having a regular spawn rate would ruin it for everyone. Ofcourse everyone would love a high spawn rate but people prefer a fairly lag free environment above that. If technology allowed for it there would be a normal spawn rate.

Cry harder?
By Prodigy9
DaveRyanSchultz wrote:
Intelli wrote:Hey everyone,

I just wanted to address some stuff regarding map wipes, and so-forth.
Map wipes are fairly common on Minecraft servers. However, they can also be frustrating.

We do have plans to make the maps on our servers permanent in the future, expanding, and moving the spawn if necessary, to meet needs. However, unfortunately, this can't be implemented until Minecraft is officially launched. (11/11/11).

As Notch is still adding new blocks, etc, every so often, if we don't wipe the map, then the server starts to get "outdated", as the newest ores won't be available to mine, and so-forth. Additionally, Notch still tweaks the map saving format and such every so often, which at times can cause map corruption.

At the present time, we do guaruntee a minimum map life of 3 months. (And typically much longer).
However, permanent maps won't be implemented until Minecraft multi-player is stable enough to support them.

Thanks for your understanding!
P.S.
If Notch doesn't add any new blocks from the present time until the time Minecraft stable is released, then yes, the current maps will become the official permanent maps.
UPDATE:
We have decided that "realms" should be permanent. Therefore, even if we do wipe the map, we will transfer over all existing realm data to the new map.
I have to say, and this is my "exit speech" so you can take it how you want it... this is one of the worst run servers, with the most potential to be better.

Map wipes are barbaric at best. Wiping the things that people have spent countless hours building is totally and completely unnecessary.

Why don't you just use a multi-world? The next world doesn't even have to be big! You could make it 256x256 and setup WorldGuard boundries. You could cycle that world every week...

Why on earth would you wipe a world with less than 3 months until full release?? That's just crazy!!

Also, the spawn rate thing. This is a survival server! Why am I able to run around at night and MAYBE see 1-2 mobs? No serious player can take this server seriously. No locking mod? Realm allows you to lock down land and the things you put in it, yet anyone you give permission to your realm.. also can get into your belongings. This is all very flawed and totally not what anyone with a serious server does! No wonder most of your community is whining kids and troublemakers! You repel any serious players such as my friend and I.

You need to wake up, this server has a lot of potential and you are obviously a programming genius. You're just making a few mistakes. Quality > Quantity. Set a cap of 50 or 75 players and return spawning to "challenging" levels. Killing spawn rates to deal with lag is NOT a perm fix. You should know better.
Sorry to see you go! I've really enjoyed getting to know yo... wait, who are you, exactly?
By Quentijn
Cogohst wrote:
Valendr0s wrote: Are you saying you will copy 100% of all purchased realms from old instance to new instance? Isn't that going to cause some strange world dynamics. Its fine for the people who have built walls around their realms, but some people purchased realms and built things in harmony with and for the view of the surrounding environment.
This is something I was wondering. Quite a few things went into the realms I've bought, mainly being location and surrounding terrain. If it's possible, I think a credit reimbursement would be better than actually keeping the realms.
Im on cogs side here. Although i spent countless hours flattening my realms i would rather have a complete wipe because i also got alot of mined area under my realms which would mean buying a realm in complete wildy would be way better for resources which i find a quiet sad thought :/

Then again on the other hand its wouldnt be fair to lose all your gathered resources ... Maybe a big buy-up thro a script with mediocre prices might be fair? Idk just putting an idea out there
By mtndewzane
[/quote]

Im on cogs side here. Although i spent countless hours flattening my realms i would rather have a complete wipe because i also got alot of mined area under my realms which would mean buying a realm in complete wildy would be way better for resources which i find a quiet sad thought :/

Then again on the other hand its wouldnt be fair to lose all your gathered resources ... Maybe a big buy-up thro a script with mediocre prices might be fair? Idk just putting an idea out there[/quote]

No that wont happen.... the buy-up thing. Also there should be a complete wipe, because the best part of starting over is the great open land and a mass of people scrambling for the perfect spot for a realm.

The idea of only public realms being reset is a good idea, but caters to the people who can't start over with nothing but trying to look for a tree again.
By Emershaan
This may sound weird coming from me of all people, but I'm actually for a map wipe and credit reimbursement.

If current realms are preserved -exactly- as-is, we'll end up with an even more mangled landscape with old, boringly-generated land amongst new, fabulous land. The major changes and additions to world generation and new blocks in 1.8 just make it more reasonable to let the new map generate normally and give people back their credits to re-establish their cities and businesses quickly in opportune locations. Plus, people seem to really love the 'new map' phase every time.

Don't flip out, just my opinion.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]