Talk about MineRealm.
By kerovon
I decided to go ahead and write something up on *coin mining, seeing as it is pretty much one of the only ways to get *coins without giving your bank account information to shady websites (which I categorically refuse to do). I am going to be giving this guide using Dogecoin, which is an alternative to bitcoin (more explanation later).

What is mining:
In crypto currencies, the coins get generated as mathematically equations get completed. Mining is the process of having your computer take part in solving these equations. Generally speaking, you participate in a team called a pool, and you get a share of their profits. (Note: I am simplifying this. A lot.)

You also need to be careful with mining, because it tends to work your videocard quite a bit, and if you do it at too high of an intensity, it can overheat and damage your video card. It will also possibly reduce the total life span of your card, especially if you do it intensively. Be careful, watch your temperature, and don't overwork your card.

What is dogecoin:
Dogecoin is a bitcoin alternative. It can still be traded to BTC, but it has several advantages. First, it is a new coin, which means the difficulty of the mathematically equations to be solved is easier. Second, it is more satisfying. 1 bitcoin is $856 currently. 1 dollar is 717 Dogecoin. That means that when I say "The first person to post their dogecoin address gets 100 Doge", it sounds better, and feels more satisfying than if I said "0.0016 BTC". The value is the same, but doge just feels more satisfying to get. Third, the community built around dogecoin is friendly. In general, new people have questions answered in a friendly manner. They do charitable donation drives in the community (the dogecoin community raised $25,000 to sponsor the Jamaican Bobsled team and $7000 to sponsor the Indian Luge team to the Sochi Olympics).

How to mine:
First, download a dogewallet here: http://dogecoin.com/. It will need to sync for a while (an hour or two) so leave it running in the background.

Next, download CGminer here: http://www.minedogecoin.com/cgminer-3.7.2-windows.zip. This is the software that performs the actual mining. Extract it, and move the folder to where ever you want to store it. (Please note: CGminer is best for AMD video cards, though it can work for nvidia cards. CUDAminer is much better for nvidia cards. However, I lack an Nvidia card, so I don't know how to use CUDAminer. If you want to get better rates, you will need to use CUDAminer. If you want to write up a tutorial of everyone else, please do so and i will cram it in here. You can also follow the info here: http://www.reddit.com/r/dogemining/wiki ... ning_guide ).

Now you need to join a pool. This is one of the decent sized, active pools, so I'll use it as an example: https://pool.dogechain.info/ . You need to make an account. Go to the My Workers option in its navigation bar, and add a new worker. For my example, I made my login name Kerovon. For the workername, I used Desktop, and for Worker password I used 1234 (worker password can be very weak. The only thing someone can do if they guess it is to work for you and make you more money).

You should also input your dogecoin address to receive dogecoins into your settings, and set up an automatic payout threshold. I recommend setting the threshold somewhat high, because you lose 1 coin for every transfer. I have mine set to payout every 2000 dogecoin.

Once this worker has been added, you need to configure CGminer. The easiest way to do this is with a .conf file, so download this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/214 ... miner.conf . Place this file in your CGminer folder, and open it up with notepad. Change the user and pass to be your username.Workername and your password.

Now, you need to figure out what other settings to have use. Find your GPU here: https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison and look at the settings used in the config column. I have an AMD 6950 graphics card, so my examples will be with that. Basically, look at the -g,, the -w, and the --thread concurrency. Put the value from -g into gpu-threads, -w into "worksize", and --thread concurrency into your "thread concurrency".

Finally, there is "intensity", which is basically how fast your card hashes the codes. this ranges from 0-20. 13 is probably a good starting point, but you will probably need to adjust that.

Start cgminer.exe, and you should end up seeing something that looks like this:

Important things on this screen are the temperature, the Kh/s numbers, and the HW. If your GPU temperature goes above 80 C, you should shut it down. I personally prefer mine to hover around 75 at its highest. The % next to it indicates what your GPU fan speed is. This should automatically adjust.

The Kh/s is kilohashes/second, and is how fast your computer is performing the math. This number varies a lot depending on what setup you have.

The HW is number of hardware errors. If you start getting HW errors, you should lower your intensity.

You may or may not notice that your computer slowed down. If your computer slowed down a bunch, you probably want to lower your intensity. With my setup, I use intensity of 11 if I am doing anything with my computer. It hashes at about ~130 Kh/s, but I can do stuff like play minecraft without problems. If I am going away from my computer, I will bump it up to about 15, which is where it hovers around 75 C at 80% GPU fan rate, and I get about 360 Kh/s. You will need to do a lot of trial and error to figure out the best settings for you. Just press Q to quit out, and change the .conf file, then see how it works when you start it up again.

Now sit back and watch you start earning doge. I've been mining for a bit over a day now, and have made about 2700 doge, which comes out to about $3.70, or 3 tokens. If you have more questions, ask here and I will try to answer. Be aware, this is a basic setup, and there is a lot more complex stuff doable. However, I have spent as much time learning this as I have building in minecraft in the last 6 months (i.e. about an hour), so I am fairly low level in my knowledge.

Converting Dogecoin to BTC:

Converting Dogecoin to BTC can be found at the bottom of the guide here: http://minerealm.com/community/viewtopi ... 12&t=15295.

Or, you can nag Intelli into accepting dogecoin as valid donations, as I am trying to do.

If you have more questions, ask here and I will try to answer. Be aware, this is a basic setup, and there is a lot more complex stuff you can do. However, I have spent as much time learning this as I have building in minecraft in the last 6 months (so about an hour), so I am fairly low level in my knowledge.
By dlgn
Does it work for Linux? Furthermore, is there any chance of creating, say, a MineRealm mining group? It certainly would fit the name :P
By kerovon
I'm sure there is a way to do it on linux. I have no clue what, but I'm sure there is one.

I doubt we will have enough people for a Minerealm pool to ever be profitable. Running pools also require some fairly expensive server costs, so that isn't likely either. The pool I linked is the one Intelli said he uses. You can also find lists of pools if you poke around, so you don't need to use that one.
By OneManWo1fPac
I'm reading this trying to pretend that I understand computers and this technology but I don't.
By dlgn
Is it worth trying to mine on a laptop? And is it possible to mine on the CPU rather than the GPU?
By kerovon
dlgn wrote:Is it worth trying to mine on a laptop? And is it possible to mine on the CPU rather than the GPU?
Depends on the laptop. Laptops tend to not have as good cooling, so it could end up being a problem.

CPU mining is possible, but it is slower. This is supposed to be one of the better CPU mining tools, though I think CGminer can work with CPU mining, but not as efficiently.
By TechnoProdigy
dlgn wrote:Is it worth trying to mine on a laptop? And is it possible to mine on the CPU rather than the GPU?
1.) Not at all.
2.) Yes but you might as well not even mine with a CPU because of how terribly they mine.
By mitchie151
I would have mined a year ago if it weren't for 2 things:

1. I have a Nvidia GTX 680 which is roughly 440-500 Mhz which isn't half as good as an AMD card.

2. PC has to be on 24/7 and mine glows blue and its in the room where I sleep.... I cannot be bothered pulling out the LED's and running it all the time for the minute amount of bitcoins I might actually pull. Dogecoins are going {to the moon} so perhaps it might be worth picking up one or two of those USB miners and running my old PC at around 600Mhz might be worth.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]