Talk about MineRealm.
By Intelli
As there may be some controversy over the new donation system, please temporarily keep any debate / discussion / generic questions restricted to this thread.

This will ensure the official donation threads don't get cluttered up with potentially off-topic discussion.

Thanks!
By Bu1ld0g
I like the idea of being able to buy tags and lounge access etc.
The donation process itself however sounds a bit long winded compared to the simplicity of paypal.
Not a fan of BITCOIN seeing as almost every vendor I've clicked on so far wants a 5-10% fee on top of it.

I've recently quit smoking so was looking to make my first donation to the server.
No offence, but I will hold off and see others experience with the purchasing system first.

But as I said first, love the new ideas behind it and can the tags be customized?

Suggestion on this: Maybe other users could recommended vendors for local purchases?
By Intelli
Bu1ld0g wrote:Not a fan of BITCOIN seeing as almost every vendor I've clicked on so far wants a 5-10% fee on top of it.
Coinbase only charges 1% for doing a currency exchange from USD to BTC, and no fees for pure bitcoins transactions.
Bu1ld0g wrote:But as I said first, love the new ideas behind it and can the tags be customized?
The only tag presently available for purchase is the "[Donor]" tag, and that likely won't change for the foreseeable future.

The entire donor tag process is entirely automated now though.
By Eetrab
Why not both? Keep Bitcoin for those who are technologically savvy and want to progress into the electronic world, and let us who are not particularly fond of it donate through PayPal.

You will get more donations too!

Edit: I am concerned about the stability of Bitcoin. Would it's value swinging wildly complicate things?
By BSGSamuel
Out of curiosity, how is the transaction being linked to a minecraft account?

(I was also going to ask how many tokens/mBC but it seems to be 0.82 :) )
By kerovon
To be honest, I dislike bitcoins. However, there are fairly good reasons why Intelli is not able to accept paypal anymore (if he wants to go into them, he can). I spent quite a while looking for other alternatives, but because he is a Canadian, a lot of the ones that came to mind (Google wallet payments, Amazon payments) are not feasible. If you know of a payment method similarish to paypal that can work, recommend it.
By Intelli
Eetrab wrote:Why not both? Keep Bitcoin for those who are technologically savvy and want to progress into the electronic world, and let us who are not particularly fond of it donate through PayPal.

You will get more donations too!
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

But seriously, besides the obvious that PayPal is a terrible company, there's a few reasons why I can't really use it anymore for MineRealm donations. I'll try to summarize them quickly.

For starters, PayPal only allows a single personal account: https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/helpc ... 0040&m=TKB

This means if I use my PayPal account for donations, it lists unnecessary personal information (as I'm also using the account for other purposes). Additionally, it's a mess of various transactions, and it's also more difficult for setting up an automated system. (especially if I'm using the account for other purposes)

Also, PayPal does have high fees. On an average donation of $15, PayPal takes $0.74 (that's 4.99%)

The ultimate reason though, was that it was just turning into too much work. The PayPal site is terribly slow (especially if you're trying to do transaction lookups), and verifying donations, giving people donor tags (rokkr was mainly doing this), etc, is time better spent elsewhere. Not to mention having to go through all the payments at the end of the year for tax purposes :(

Setting up an automated system using Bitcoin was easy. Setting up an automated system using my personal PayPal account would have been a nightmare.

The only way I'd continue using PayPal is if they'd allow me to set up a separate account for MineRealm donations, but that's not going to happen.

Also, I like Bitcoin. I don't like PayPal. :)
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]