Post any ideas / suggestions for the game servers here.

Do you support this idea?

Yes
36%
No
64%
I suggest we disable teleportation via Chorus Fruit on private plots.

The rationale for this is teleportation allows players to get to places that they would not be able to get to via normal means. You might say "well this is a part of mc now and it should be allowed." Well, now we need to make our walls 8 blocks thick. In some cases, this is simply not feasible and it constrains what we can build and the things we need to do to prevent other players from messing with our things.

If you vote no, would you agree to making it flag-gable by the plot owner?

Implementation details:
When a player eats a Chorus Fruit, and the chosen destination to teleport to is in a private plot, another attempt should be made to find a suitable location (in the same way another attempt (up to 16) is made if the destination is a solid block; see wiki). If the API does not provide this "re-attempt" ability or if it would over-complicate the logic, then, when the chosen destination is in a private plot, another attempt should not be made and the teleportation should not occur altogether.

In pseudocode:
Code: Select all
function eatChorusFruit:
  16 times do:
    get random location around player.
    if location is not solid and if location is public plot:
      teleport player.
      return to calling function.
return to calling function.
Ideally, this is how it should work. Most of it is already in minecraft. You just need to add the "if location is public plot" portion. Again, if the API does not provide the appropriate hooks, the psuedocode may vary.
Last edited by eah on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bu1ld0g wrote:Voted no.
Plots are private, blocks are protected, mobs are protected.
Lets not forget you're also building on a public server so your builds are meant to be seen.
Levers, buttons, pressure plates?
Stalls at trade and auto shop stalls where players could potentially steal items? Yeah, stealing is against the rules, but rule breaking should be avoided when it can be.
Signs with text you don't want others to see?
A redstone circuit you want to keep to yourself?

Animals can still be pushed and get attached to leads, and horses can receive saddles and be mounted on private plots.

Also, I forgot to mention that when I say "private plot" I mean a plot that is owned and you don't have build permissions to. In other words, you can still teleport on a plot you own.
Perhaps a good solution could be that:
- The teleport is allowed everywhere by default.
- The owners of plots can toggle the plot to be able to be the target of teleports.

By this definition, one cannot stay on the adjacent public plot and TP into a plot that is toggled off.
Furthermore it allows the TP to be used everywhere else.

Also, if nothing is chanced regarding this rule, the /trade is vulnerable to exploit by means of both intercepting others trades and getting out of trade without doing /trade, and using this to an advantage. (could be prevented by toggling the 4 spawn plots).
Grelman wrote:Wouldn't you still be able to teleport through a wall that surrounds a plot if it borders one you can build on or is not private?
I address this in the implementation details. The teleport fails if the destination is in a private plot; not the teleport fails if the player is in a private plot.
eah wrote: Levers, buttons, pressure plates?
Stalls at trade and auto shop stalls where players could potentially steal items? Yeah, stealing is against the rules, but rule breaking should be avoided when it can be.

Animals can still be pushed and get attached to leads, and horses can receive saddles and be mounted on private plots.

Also, I forgot to mention that when I say "private plot" I mean a plot that is owned and you don't have build permissions to. In other words, you can still teleport on a plot you own.
You do realize this is a vanilla server right?
eah wrote:A redstone circuit you want to keep to yourself?
This is what it really boils down to. Nobody wants to steal your RS designs, we have the internet for that.
Bu1ld0g wrote:
eah wrote: Levers, buttons, pressure plates?

You do realize this is a vanilla server right?
It's semi-vanilla. When we have land protection and iron transit tubes, disabling teleportation looks very possible.
Bu1ld0g wrote:
eah wrote:A redstone circuit you want to keep to yourself?
This is what it really boils down to. Nobody wants to steal your RS designs, we have the internet for that.
You're probably right, but I think the primary purpose for teleporting on private plots will be to cause trouble. I imagine chrous fruit was added to the game to help in cave exploring and to save yourself from fall damage. Players probably won't be using it for this purpose on private plots. If the fruit is used at all on private plots, it will probably be to get somewhere intended to be off limits. So, how would this hurt you? Seems to me like it'll help those of us concerned about protecting our private things.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]