Post any ideas / suggestions for the game servers here.

Do you support this idea?

Yes
54%
No
46%
With everyone changing their names, some may change to completely different names. Unless the name changer shares his/her original identity (or someone else does it for him/her), other people won't know who was whom.
Perhaps we could add a little line at the bottom of the /profile display labeled "Previous Names."

Ex.
/profile cubeguy314

cubeguy314's Profile
Online: Yes
Guild: Vortex
Achievements: Veteran, Bland as cobble, etc.
Previous Names: Previous name 1, previous name 2, etc.
By Bu1ld0g
Voted No as I see it as people may want a fresh start without any added harassment due to past behavior etc. AKA invasion of privacy.

Staff can already identify who is who via IP and UUID. There is no need for this for your average player in my honest opinion.
By Rixih
Voted no. Some people are using it as a fresh start, the new names are fun, and any ban worthy offenses or harassment can be checked up by staff. So I see no need for it.
By Bu1ld0g
FYI if you do /profile TeeJayDub for example it will tell you "TeeJayDub has never played on MineRealm."
So there's a very real possibility prior names are not held by the database and updated to current UUID making this poll pointless.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
By Tee
I'm sitting on the fence with this one. I can understand if some people want to make a fresh start and leave behind their past history, particularly if they have been on the server for a few years and matured in that time, yet at the same time the name change wasn't exactly introduced for that purpose.

So I'm not voting either way, but I will say that you can find out IGN history via the web if you search around a bit :)
By The-Jack-DeCk
If a players wishes to gain anonyminity in order to mask any negative associations others may have with their namesake, then that is not a "fresh start". If one truly believes they have matured, then they should be able to right their wrongdoings by addressing any grievances others have with their past actions and by convincing the community that they have changed for the better. Hiding under a pseudonym will not solve issues that are left untreated. For this reason, I believe that past names should be shown in /profile.

However, as other people have noted, harassment issues do play a major part in why some players may wish to hide behind another name. I can respect their decision to do so, and I even think Mojang probably implemented this feature with these people in mind. Although, I don't think that there are many serious cases of harassment that do not face fair punishment on this server. If harassment is truly of major concern, then I wish that this feature could at least be made toggle-able, for those who do wish to let the word know the history of their username.
By cubeguy314
I'm loving the comments you guys are giving. It's great to see and understand both sides of this.

Perhaps we could change the suggestion?
As Jack suggested, perhaps we could have a toggleable Name Profile system? (/profile names)
This would allow players who wish to change their name and still let others know what name they once went by to communicate that information. It would also allow those wishing for a fresh start to have what they wish.

Staff, could we maybe have this poll reset, and the idea listed above added to the initial post? With this new idea added on, maybe people would have different opinions. (Or could this topic be deleted and a new, modified suggestion thread be made?)
By Nephalem
For me at least, it is not a fresh start, it is just to remove some of the prejudgment of the username.

And I bet this rather false prejudgment is why most of us has changed username, if it was not for removing numbers, shortening or correcting spelling.

Remember this is just my point of view, there might be some out there wanting a fresh start, but changing names to avoid past mistakes just seems wrong to me.
By iAlyxxai
Redkiller123 wrote:For me at least, it is not a fresh start, it is just to remove some of the prejudgment of the username.

And I bet this rather false prejudgment is why most of us has changed username, if it was not for removing numbers, shortening or correcting spelling.

Remember this is just my point of view, there might be some out there wanting a fresh start, but changing names to avoid past mistakes just seems wrong to me.
^
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]